- 4 slices bacon
- 3 lb. beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes
- 1 15.5-oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Snipped fresh oregano
- Cooked bacon, crumbled
1. In 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook bacon and beef, half at a time, over medium heat until beef is browned. Drain fat. Return meat to pan. Reduce heat; add onions and half of garlic. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
2. Add undrained tomatoes, beans, and 1 tablespoon of the chili powder. Bring to
boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in
remaining garlic, chili powder, and vinegar. Cook, covered, 1 hour. Add water to desired consistency. Season to taste. Top servings with cheese, oregano, and crumbled bacon. Makes 6 servings.